Sunday, March 6, 2011

My first 'run' with EO and LH

It's official I have joined the lunch run club in my office. Okay, okay, I only ran a little but day one was more about breathing correctly. Which FYI I previously didn't do!  Remember...I mentioned...I just about died!  So EO is a runner, yoga lady and all that so I asked for assistance and she so happily volunteered! Crazy!

Since we work at Cornell and we have tons of options about working out and exercising. We went to Barton Hall, its a huge indoor track we can use for free.  When we arrive EO teaches me some stretching-which I love that feeling-strange-oh year! Then she coached me on how to breath. I believe her words were "You are going to feel like you are in labor all over again" Seriously-just what I wanted to hear-how did she know-NOT.  But it was more about breathing from your belly therefore you shoulders shouldn't raise too much. It seriously is hard to do, I had to really think about it.

Round one-we started with a S-L-O-W run. Which was fine. LH and EO flanked me (Ha I still have to laugh it just sounds funny) but it did give a me a shield or a comfort zone to speak. Made it one lap-in all fairness the track is bigger than others-I think-it felt that way- then we walked two and then we went running for one more.  After that I think we did  or 3 more laps of walking I cannot really remember. My foot started to hurt and then went numb, even up my leg it went a little numb.  I sat and started to work on my foot, EO an LH ran a couple more. We stretched and EO showed me some plank variations (remember yoga instructor) 

My summary: Yes it was hard, but fun in the strangest way. I also felt vulnerable, scared, ashamed-lots of emotions going on. It was nice to have them both so supportive.  Is running my thing, I am not sure yet.  EO and LH were very concerned about my foot (secretly I was too) but I also have dealt with it my whole life so I kinda know my limit (sometimes).  EO doesn't think running is my 'thing', but I am not ready to give up ...yet.  At the very least I am still going to go with them M, W, F and walk-because I need cardio.  As long as they will have me still in the lunch running club I will go.

Now onto the funny part of the experience. Yes there are many.
1: Sports bras-come on-who invited them, a man I am sure.  Even thought you get the best one possible I still do no feel like there is enough support...hence wearing two shirts.

2: Why me---while we were there their were MANY people running, old, young, fast, slow and steady, barefoot *yuck*, ROTC people....I just wanted  as few people as possible. But, I guess to get over the fear of people watching...because really they weren't.  They were doing their own thing, concentrating on running...perhaps breathing?

3: The HOT army guys. COME ON!!!! Yep, there was one very hot army dude doing his pull ups, push ups, and what not. Dear lord....seriously.  He wasn't paying any attention at all to what we or anyone else was doing, but, LH and I were paying attention to him. EO, well since she is from CA she doesn't really understand...but LH she is on my wave length.  He had a tatoo on his forearm..nice! Ok, enough.

So all and all, very proud of myself for going and trying. And I am kinda excited for next week.  I have another new exprience to tell you about too!

T.

3 comments:

  1. T, the first time is the worst (most embarrassing). I think you did great! It WILL get better and you WILL stop being concerned about the other people. This is all about what you are doing for yourself. For me, my best moment (most reinforcing) came when my oldest DD listed running as one of my favorite things to do on a school worksheet. I actually really dislike running but the point is I know they are paying attention and I’m setting the example I want to. She asks me all the time “Did you run today?” and I love being able to say “Yes, we did.” E and I love having you join us. Oh, and I am so with you on the eye candy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You get a "go team" from EO. Actually, I think I did on the track yesterday. Army guy...of course I noticed him! This ol' Cali lady ain't dead. hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So proud of you...running is very difficult.

    P.S. I need you to teach me how to Breathe correctly : )

    ReplyDelete